September 22, 2017

My Favorite Gloves

Catch as release has been around for a long time and, I suspect, is practiced by most of us. Catch and release recommendations over this time have sometimes changed as new data come to light and studies review old recommendations. One of these newer recommendations is the use of gloves.

While many promote wetting your hands before touching the fish, it has only been relatively recently that using gloves has been found to be better at keeping the fish wet. The material of gloves, as long as it's not terry cloth, can stay wet longer and protect the slime layer next to the fish's scales. They also help you hold the trout more securely with less overall pressure. This harms the fish less.

That said, I wear gloves mainly as sun protection. I have worn a few different sun gloves over the years and have found ones I like and others I don't as much.

Kast Inferno UPF Glove

This is my favorite glove. They fit well and are made well. And I really like the silicone palm. For me they just work better than the other gloves I have used. They are easy to get on and to get off, even when wet. They have also held up over time really well.







Buff Pro Angler 3 Gloves

These are my second favorite gloves. They fit well when new, but the synthetic leather palms tend to get stiff after repeated use. To get them less stiff you have to get them wet (that's the point anyway, so it's not that big of a deal).






Aqua Design Fly Fishing Fingerless Camo Gloves

I like these least. The design of these gloves make them hard to get off and the sewing is very poorly done. Mine (two different pairs) unraveled after just a few uses.




As always, it is best not to handle the trout unless you have to. If you do, try to minimize harm to the fish. Keep it out of the water less than 10 seconds, use gentle pressure in holding it around the belly, and keep it wet. I've not always been the best at these recommendations but I've gotten better over the years. These gloves have helped me in this goal.

Hint: Gloves can get pretty smelly after just a few fishing trips. You can wash them, but they will still stink. This is due to bacteria in the fibers feasting on the fish slime proteins. To fix this, soak them in plain Original Listerine for 10-15 minutes before washing. This kills the bacteria in the synthetic material that are creating the stink. Don't use chlorine bleach, as it will break down the synthetic fibers and bleach out that really cool camo pattern!








1 comment:

  1. Great post, thanks Tom. Listerine is a very useful tip. Do you find wearing wet gloves makes your hands colder in the cooler months?

    ReplyDelete