January 11, 2018

Thursday, January 11, 2018

I was able to do a little fishing today. The weather was nice and warm; Air 40°F and water 40°F. There was a storm front coming in, and a breeze brought some minor annoyance, but nothing that was too challenging.




As I do most winters, I was hunting browns today. The stream that I fished was running a little high for this time of year, at 100 cfs, so I concentrated on the sides of the stream and any place the current was broken.




I caught many of the fish on the side of the stream I was wading, but most were caught on the opposite side of the stream. I had better line control with this approach today because of the breeze.




I fished from 1300-1430 and brought 12 browns to hand, all on a Red Dart. I almost lost the fly a few times on trees and a couple of underwater snags, but it ended up surviving the outing. It got pretty chewed up and earned a spot in the fly retirement container.







It was a great hour and half, just perfect for a winter's tenkara outing.







5 comments:

  1. Ran across the red dart pattern on planet trout a while back. Looked good and now I'll have to tie some for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gloves look great for co!d winter days. ...Do you prefer them to wool or synthetic fingerless gloves?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,

    Do you ever use a keiryu rod when using weighted nymphs such as the dart? Or is the dart so lightly weighted that your TenkaraBum 36 is a great match with the red dart?

    Thank you! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll fish tungsten beadheads with the TenkaraBum Traveler (a keiryu rod) but the TB36 does just fine cast them as well.

      Delete